- Written by and for researchers and professionals
- Contain research projects, methodology, and/or theory
- Generally subject to peer review
- Well-documented; i.e., information incorporated or referred to from other sources is properly attributed and cited
- Articles in them generally have extensive bibliographies
- Published for/read by members of a particular trade or profession.
- Provide news and information about projects, fresh ideas, and changing circumstances in the profession.
- Contain advertisements -- and job ads!
- Increasingly available for free online.